|Jimmy Chin. Photo courtesy of The North Face
Jackson, Wyoming, United States
Favorite music: Cello
Favorite place to travel: Home
Favorite TNF gear: Rolling Thunder duffel - Holds all my stuff; straps well to yaks.
Favorite quote: "Trust in the cosmos but tie your camel."
Recent achievement: Found a girlfriend
Jimmy Chin grew up in southern Minnesota, wondering what life would be like if the landscape wasnít so flat. It only took one climbing experience in Joshua Tree, California, when he was eighteen, and he was hooked. After finishing college, Jimmy set out for a short climbing and skiing road trip. Eight years later heís still traveling full-time. These days, however, his road trips take him a bit farther from home. As an athlete for The North Face, as well as an accomplished photographer, Jimmy has been busy climbing, skiing, exploring and photographing adventures in the remote corners of the planet.
In the last few years, Jimmy has organized and participated in numerous climbing, ski-mountaineering and exploratory expeditions to Tibet, China, Pakistan, Nepal, Tanzania, Mali, South Africa and Argentina. Some of his adventures include: climbing first ascents of big walls and alpine towers in the Karakoram Mountains of Pakistan; crossing the Chang Tang Plateau in northwestern Tibet, on foot and unsupported, with Conrad Anker, Galen Rowell and Rick Ridgeway; and attempting the direct North Face of Mount Everest, alpine style, with Stephen Koch. In the spring of 2004, Jimmy climbed Mount Everest with David Breashears while filming a feature film for Universal Studios. Jimmy has appeared in numerous publications, including profiles in National Geographic, Outside, Menís Journal, People and Powder magazines.
Check out Jimmy Chin's award-winning photo gallery.
* Fathi Brakk, FA VI 510+ A3
* WI4, Charakusa Valley, Karakoram, Pakistan (1999)
* Beatrice Tower, FA VII 5.10+ A3+, Charakusa Valley, Karakoram, Pakistan (1999)
* Iron Hawk to Native Son, VI 5.9 A4+ (1999)
* Ten one-day speed ascents of El Capitan (1998)
* Five one-day speed ascents of Half Dome (1998)
* Tahir Tower, FA VII 5.11 A3, Kondus Valley, Karakoram, Pakistan (2000)
* Free solo of the Grand Traverse, Grand Tetons in one day car to car (2000)
* Chiru Mustagh, first ascent Southeast Ridge, 21,000 ft., Xinjiang, China (2002)
* Six ski descents of the Grand Teton (2002)
* Skied the Grand Teton, Middle Teton and South Teton in 14 hours car to car (2003)
* Chang Zheng Peak (22,800 ft.), first ski descent, Central Rongbuk, Tibet (2003)
* Tai Yang Peak, first ascent and ski descent, Xinjiang, China (2003)
* Kaga Pomori, FA IV; 5.11R South Face, Mali, Africa (2003)
* Mt. Everest, South Col Route (2004)
* Worked with David Breashears on Universal Studios feature film about the Ď96 Everest tragedy
* Traverse of the Chang Tang (2002 National Geographic Explorer)
* On the Edge: Mountaineering with Conrad Anker (2000 Outdoor Life Network)
* Higher Elevation: Kilimanjaro (ESPN)
* Journey to the Hand of Fatima (RUSH Channel)
* National Geographic and Microsoft Emerging Explorers Grant (2004)
* Galen Rowell Memorial Photography Award (2004)
* Lyman Spitzer Adventure Award: K7 Climbing Expedition (2001)
* Polartec Grant Recipient: K7 Climbing Expedition (2001)
* AAC Mountaineering Fellowship Grant: Kondus Climbing Expedition, Pakistan (1999, 2000)
* Lyman Spitzer Adventure Award: Kondus Climbing Expedition, Pakistan (2000)
* Polartec Grant Recipient: Kondus Climbing Expedition (2000)